We – Lieferando.de and Takeaway.com – are one of the leading online food-delivery platforms in Europe and are looking for a MySQL Database Administrator to take proud ownership of our databases in terms of design, set-up and maintenance. You sink your teeth into MySQL clusters, including capacity planning, scheduled upgrades and cluster balancing, taking up Cassandra clusters as you go along. You ensure a fine balance between governance of our database systems and database liberation needed for our analysts to be creative and experimental. As someone who easily adapts to new team environments, you are keen to share your knowledge when your colleagues turn to you for subject-matter expertise. You relish the opportunity to design new schemas for a wide range of applications, and, keeping cool under pressure, you keep your eye on your personal goal of 100% availability of data across all of our database clusters while monitoring all aspects of their lifecycle. You continue to deepen your understanding of distributed systems, especially concerning how databases deal with data consistency and conflict resolution at scale.
- Build databases to support our Big Data, Data Analyst and Business Intelligence colleagues
- Help our developers review their database schemas and make the right vendor decision
- Measure and improve the usage of our entire database layer
- Assist ETL and DWH modeling wherever possible
A day in the life of:
You head to the office on a Monday morning to partiticipate in the daily SCRUM standup, where you discuss findings of the previous Friday. After the meeting, you start the design of a schema for a new internal application that will help the company better deal with fraudulent transactions. As you are working on that, you receive a Nagios notification, stating that one of our slaves in the EU-West data center is lagging behind its master by about two hours. You go right ahead and fix the issue: all systems are now in sync. After lunch, one of your colleagues notices, with the help of Datastax Opscenter, that the data distribution in one of our clusters is highly skewed: some nodes contain significantly more data than the others. You therefore fire up the node tool to diagnose and solve the problem. It is late afternoon when you head home, satisfied with a productive work day.
You are part of the Data Infrastructure & Analytics team which has a focus to setup a new enterprise analytics infrastructure, which includes reporting and dashboarding but also machine learning recommendations. Therefore the people in the team have different backgrounds and roles to achieve the goal (and opportunities to learn from your peers). From a planning perspective the team works in an agile way using SCRUM. As a team you present to the rest of the company the products you have developed during the sprint, which gives the team a great visibility within the organization.
When we think of our ideal new colleague, we think of:
- At least 3+ years of experience working with MySQL
- Experience adjusting and migrating schemas in an existing production environment
- Deep knowledge in using and setting up warehouse technologies to collect vast amounts of data
- DevOps capabilities (Linux Administration and Troubleshooting, Continuous Integration and Deployment skills)
- A keen interest in using Cassandra and other big-data technologies
- Familiarity with other databases (traditional relational or NoSQL) is a distinct plus
- Experience in designing schemas in a CQRS/Event Sourcing environment would be helpful
- Experience with Teradata, Greenplum, Redshift or other MPP solutions, as well as with cloud providers (like AWS, Azure) is advantageous
- We highly welcome knowledge of and experience with other big-data technologies such as Kafka, Hadoop and/or Spark
What you can expect from us in return:
- The freedom to go where no one in our company has gone before
- Work in a fast-growing company
- Being part of a young, professional and international team
- A competitive salary
- Contribute your work to the open-source community
- Custom work stations/laptops (Mac/Linux/PC)
- Internal as well as external schoolings and conferences
- Awesome team events
- Free drinks and fruits and several sporty benefits
Who we are:
Lieferando.de as part of the Dutch Takeaway.com group is a rapidly expanding e-commerce company based in Berlin that is revolutionizing the competitive online market for food orders. We are a fast-growing company with over 130 employees in Germany. At Lieferando.de we work with both private and prestigious corporate clients, who can find every type of delivery service from the Italian next door to the best Asian restaurant in town on our state-of-the-art platform. The working atmosphere at Lieferando.de is characterized by team spirit, trust and open communication, a high degree of personal responsibility and flat hierarchies. Bringing in your own ideas is encouraged, creativity, motivation and commitment are much appreciated.