William Blair & Company Internship Program offers the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience working in a corporate environment and to gain valuable exposure to the pharmaceutical industry.
As an intern of the team you are able to apply your passion for building trusting relationships with our stakeholders, focusing on the services and products our customer needs.
The internship requires a self-motivated individual with an appetite to learn and a strong desire to pursue a career in Finance or Accounting. The internship will assist in further developing your professional skills in the field of Finance and Accounting. You will have the opportunity to better understand the different facets of an effective organization and gain practical experience as you work alongside business professionals.
The CFO (Chief Financial Officer) Financial Support team is responsible for working directly with leadership in all departments throughout out William Blair & Company to assist with budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis. The internship position provides an opportunity to learn more about the financial needs, drivers and projects within the above divisions, applying a financial or accounting background to the real world application within operating departments.
Duties and Responsibilities
The summer intern will be responsible for the following:
- Analyze monthly results to assist in updating a departmental forecast for the remainder of the year.
- Analyze current year results to assist in preparing a budget for the following year.
- Assist in the maintenance of staffing models to inform staffing needs and validate cost saving initiatives.
- Assist in compiling the results of time studies to support the assumptions made within the staffing models.
- Prepare variance reports and review with management.
- Complete ad hoc financial analyses.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Previous experience with Business Objects (or related software).
- General Accounting or Finance work-related experience with a company, organization, student club, student organization, and etc.
This position will interact with both internal and external customers
The selected individual must be able to successfully pass a background and drug screening as a condition of the internship. The selected individual must also meet eligibility and suitability requirements.
The physical demands described here, typical to that of an office environment, representative of those that must be met by an Intern to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the Intern is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The Intern frequently is required to sit, stand, walk reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The Intern may frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and be required to work a shift in excess of 8 hours. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and must be able to distinguish colors.
The work environment, typical to an office environment, characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Educational / Work Experience
- Must be a rising senior working toward a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or closely-related degree, or master’s/MBA student working towards a master’s in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or closely-related degree.
- Must possess a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Must be able to work up to 40 hours per week.
- Must be able to provide own housing during summer in the West Palm Beach area.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future sponsorship for employment visa status.
- Must have experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, collaborative and team building skills.
- Must have the ability to think analytically, present ideas professionally, and work in project teams.
- Must have the ability to work with higher-level staff (VPs, etc.).
- Must be able to work independently as well as with a team to effectively meet or exceed business objectives with various organizational levels and business areas.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and is not an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with it.